Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving food - a bit late!

Even though it's not November, I'm going to share two tasty recipes with you guys - I figure they're still appropriate, since it's still the holidays!

Persimmon Muffins/bars
(I don't know how hard it is to get your hands on ripe persimmons, but this is a tasty, relatively healthy recipe if you can!)
1 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (I didn't have nutmeg, so I used pumpkin pie spice and it turned out good!)
1/2 c. raisins
1 c. persimmon pulp *
2 tb. oil
1/4 tsp. lemon extract *
*When freezing persimmon pulp, add 1 Tb. lemon juice to every 2 c. pulp. It keeps well at least a year! So if using frozen pulp, don't add any more lemon juice.

Combine first 8 ingredients (dry ingredients). In a blender, blend pulp, oil and lemon until just smooth and add to dry mixture. Stir only until well mixed. Pour into greased muffin pans. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes. Makes 12 big muffins.
Persimmon bars variation: Spread batter out in a jelly roll pan (which I see as a cookie sheet with edges!). Bake 20-25 min. Frost with lemon glaze (1 c. powdered sugar mixed with 2 Tb. lemon juice).

Orange Jello (This is a staple at the Neal Thanksgiving table - my husband LOVES it!)
1 large box orange Jello
1 small box lemon pie filling
8 oz. cool whip
Make Jello with 1/2 the water called for. Make lemon filling according to instructions. Add lemon filling to hot jello mix. Let chill and set. Then beat in cool whip until well mixed.

2 comments:

wisp said...

Yay! A Jennifer post!!!

Di said...

JENN!!! I should have asked you about persimmons when I was in CA!!! I really wanted to buy some, but didn't know what I'd do with them and I get home and voila. Not fair! :)