Monday, March 30, 2009

S.O.S. Mix



I love this mix! It's from the USU extension, and I've had the recipe for a while now but I forget about it sometimes, then I rediscover it and can't imagine living without it. And talk about an easy money saver...

Soup or Sauce- SOS - Mix
2 c. powdered non-fat dry milk
3/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. instant chicken bouillon
2 T. dried onion flakes
2 teas. Italian Seasoning

Combine all ingredients in a resealable plastic bag. Mix well. Ready for a variety of recipes.

To substitute for 1 can cream soup: combine
1/3 c. dry mix with 1 1/4 c. cold water
cook and stir on stove or in microwave until thickened. add thickened mixture to casseroles as you would a can of soup. You can add a can of mushrooms for mushroom soup, or 2 c. tomato sauce for tomato soup.

(I don't always precook it, just add the stuff then cook it if I know it'll thicken in the oven).

It's fantastic, you can make Potato soup by adding 1 c. cooked potato cubes, or Broccoli cheese Soup by adding 1/3 c. fresh or frozen broccoli and 1 c. cheese.
For Cheese Sauce you make the can soup, plus 1 c. grated cheese.

I especially love the Alfredo Sauce, I never liked alfredo I made before this one, and I made this with cooked chicken in it over noodles again the other night and everybody loves it!!! I'm going to have to try the sauce on pizza...
1/3 c. S.O.S. 1 1/4 c. cold water
1/2 c. sour cream 1/4 t. pepper
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
Combine, mix, cook and stir until thickened. Serve over noodles or on pizza.

No comments: