Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pumpkin Soup

I know this was supposed to be last month, but I made this last night and decided I had to post it. It is VERY yummy!!! I think I'll have it for breakfast even. I was looking for a pumpkin soup recipe because Jaynee made pumpkin roll when she was here last weekend and I've got the rest of the cooked pumpkin in the fridge. I found this on cooks.com (I love that site!)

-------------------------
WILLIAMSBURG PUMPKIN SOUP
-------------------------

1/4 c. finely chopped onion
4 tbsp. butter
1 can cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup
1 c. canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
1 soup can water

In saucepan, cook onions in butter until tender. Stir in
soup, pumpkin, and seasonings. Gradually add water. Heat;
stir occasionally. Garnish with parsley. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

I made a double batch, added one can each of cream of chicken and mushroom, went light on the nutmeg and added a couple dashes of curry powder. I probably had a bit more onion too, I didnt' measure. Bliss! Tom (and I) had two helpings, and even Sam, who was saying "Pumpkin soup is gross...yucky!" etc, once we reminded him he hadn't even tasted it, sneaked a taste and decided it was good! And the great thing about it- it was fast and easy! We're talking dinner in 20 minutes easy :)

2 comments:

wisp said...

Yummy! I love pumpkin stuff! I have a penne recipe with a pumpkin sauce and romano on top. Pumpkin just gives a warm, cozy, "home" feeling. I'll have to give it a try.

Di said...

Yum, you're right, pumpkin= cozy, unless it's a jackolantern.... I made this again last night- Tom loved it and the kids were excited- I'm so glad! I have to say, I put 3/4 tsp of nutmeg (or so) instead of 1 tsp, and I thought it was too much (still yummy) but Tom said it was delicious still. I guess it depends how much you like nutmeg.