I found this recipe in the Torgercookbook, and I LOVE it. I don't think I've botched a batch of this bread yet- of course my newfound ability to WAIT for the bread to rise really helps. :D I think I usually half it- unless I have plans to gift loaves, or make pizza and breadsticks too. I like to add some wheat flour too- maybe 1/4, maybe less, depending on what I have ground at the moment...last time I even threw in maybe 1 cup of six-grain cereal. It was yummy. You guys probably have great recipes already, but here you go:
WHITE BREAD 8 loaves (small) or 6 large
8 cups warm water
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) margerine (yes, butter works :)
8 tsp. salt
about 24 cups flour
4 T. yeast
dissolve yeast in water and sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes. Add margerine, salt, and half the flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough flour to make a firm dough. Knead about 10 minutes.
Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Let rise in warm place, free from draft until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 15 minutes. Divide into loaves and put in greased pans. Let rise about 20 minutes. Bake 30 minutes at 400*.
confession: I don't always wait the full times...use your judgement. and I probably don't knead it for 10 minutes (the mere thought makes my arms tired!) Now, I need to go make some...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment