Friday, July 31, 2009

Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding

We bought some rolls that were not-so-moist the other day and I really wasn't looking forward to eating them. So, we decided to use them for bread pudding. It turned out really well. I did a few things differently than the recipe that really added a lot for us. :)

5 cups cubed bread (make sure you measure it)
2 1/2 cups warm milk (I heated mine to the froth point)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1tsp. vanilla (I put a tablespoon cause I love my nilla)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Grease a 9x9 square pan. Combine warm milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and eggs. Pour over cubed bread, raisins, and nuts, if using, and allow to sit for a little while to soak up the liquid. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.
I didn't have any raisins or nuts, so we didn't use any and it turned out fine. But I baked mine in a water bath in the oven. I just put my bread mixture in an 8x8 (who has a 9x9? seriously?) and put that inside a 9x13 (if you have even bigger, use that) making sure it didn't touch the sides. I had heated some water in my kettle and I carefully added the warm/hot water to the 9x13 pan until it was at least halfway up the 8x8. A water bath helps things like puddings and custards bake evenly throughout and they usually are more creamy/custardy when I have used them. Be very careful when you are taking them out, though. We slowly pulled both out (I did this part) and set them on the stove and then carefully took the 8x8 out and set it aside to cool (John did this part - I'm a chicken). It was really good. :)

1 comment:

Di said...

I think I'm going to have to make this, really soon, it looks and sounds soooo yummy!