
This one is from my new Rachael Ray cookbook, Rachel Ray's Big Orange Book. It has a chapter of recipes for one, but this one makes enough for me to have 2 or 3 meals and send one home to my dad. :) It's total comfort food! I've made it with and without the chives and I probably won't bother with them from now on because there are already onions in the meat and I try only to buy fresh herbs if they'll make a big difference (and I honestly didn't notice one). I hope you guys like it!
Single Guy (or Gal) Shepherd's Pie
1 large or 2 medium Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
Salt and pepper
1 Tb. plus 1 pat butter
2 Tb. sour cream
3 Tb. chopped chives
1 egg yolk
Dash of hot sauce
1 Tb. EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
2/3 lb. ground sirloin (the leanest ground beef -- I have a recipe for chili mac using the other 1/3 lb., if anyone is interested)
1 bay leaf
1 small garlic clove, grated (or I use the crushed garlic in a jar and just spoon a bit in)
1/2 medium onion, chopped (the other half of the onion in also in the chili mac -- or you could double the recipe)
1/4 cup shredded carrots, a handful, chopped into small bits
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 Tb. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup beef stock
2 Tb. steak sauce (I like A1)
A small handful of frozen peas
Paprika, for garnish (I have sweet paprika that I like and I'm also going to try smoked, sweet paprika soon! ;)
In a sauce pot, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Salt the water and cook the potatoes until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and mash with 1 tsp. of the butter, the sour cream, milk, chives, egg yolk, hot sauce, and salt and pepper.
While the potatoes cook, heat the EVOO in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat and brown, breaking it into crumbles, for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the bay leaf, garlic if using, and onion, carrot, and celery, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Push the meat and vegetables off to one side of the pan and add the remaining 1 Tb. of butter to the middle of the pan. When it melts, stir in the flour, cook for 30 seconds, then whisk in the stock and steak sauce. Combine the gravy with the meat and vegetables, stir in the peas, and heat through for a minute or two. Taste to adjust the seasoning. Discard the bay leaf.
Preheat the broiler.
Transfer the meat mixture to a small casserole, large ramekin, or serving dish and top with the potatoes. Brown the potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes under the broiler and garnish with paprika.
It is so yummy, you guys! And, hey, I like having no topic -- we can just post whatever. It had seemed like a fun idea in the beginning, but I think the more relaxed way it working better for us. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment